Here’s the thing:
I don’t keep buttermilk on hand but MOST baking recipes require it. So what do? Buy a whole container of Buttermilk for just one measely cup of it? That stuff is nasty (unless you LIKE sour milk). SO…
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Milk (just under one cup)
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.
Use as much as you need. (example if you need 1 1/2 cup = 1 1/2 table spoon lemon juice or white vinegar and so on.)
This ALSO works for Soymilk! When I was living on my own, I didn’t even keep milk on hand because I can’t drink it. So I did the same with vanilla soymilk for a red velvet cake recipe and it tasted GREAT.